Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Lemme Take a Selfie

            When I began learning the creative suit programs back in high school I never thought that you could incorporate all of the programs into one project. However, since learning, and refreshing my knowledge its becoming clear that I do not know as much as I though I did. We have incorporated each program into projects over the semester, but not until the post card project did it all make sense. I wish I had known how to create a clipping path back in high school, because it would have helped me up till now.
            This design is essential exercise in design communication because it is a great stepping-stone in learning how you personally view your individual self. It is hard to design for other people and companies. You have to first learn how the company works and how the company wants to be viewed. Their image says a lot about their company. This post card project gave us the opportunity to create an image for ourselves using our own personal picture. People are very particular about how they take photos and selecting a photo you like of yourself is even more particular. This project was essential because it helped us identify ourselves as graphic designers. From here we can learn to immerse ourselves in identifying with other projects. By giving us the tools to create a design for another company that may or may not have our own little touch to it.
            The use of color in my design was very important. I selected the color of my shirt and accented it to the rose flowers to the left. This helped create balance on my post card. I also changed the color and texture to my photo. Even though the photo was a high resolution I thought it could create a visually appealing type of watercolor painting. The background color is a neutral with a canvas texture on it that also coincides with the watercolor theme. Watercolor is typically a very soft and delicate much like the flowers to the left. My hair is very calm and straight. This goes along nicely with the idea of the post card being soothing. I did not want to use the typical black font coloring so I went with a dark blue color. I wanted the coloring to look soft to match the shape of the font and the general flow of the post card, but more on that later. Blue is softer than grey and black, but it is still legible. Although there is no blue in the photo or graphic I believed it to accent the dark maroon red of the roses and my blouse.
            The fonts that I chose to use were a font called Noteworthy, which I received from Dafont. My name font I am not sure of, I have it downloaded to the computer in class, as well as the Illustrator file that contains the name of the image. Nevertheless, both fonts are slightly loopy. Loopy I mean cursive, or gently gliding from one letter to the next. Noteworthy has the look of a font you would see in a elementary school class room. Even though I do not plan on becoming a teacher, my photo has this type of innocence to it, which if you catch me on a no makeup or hair not done day, is quite the opposite of innocent.

            The use of design hierarchy in my post card is solid. My post card is equally balanced on both sides and my text wrap appears on both sides of my photo and graphic. This creates a nice flow from the graphic to the text and over to my photo. Using Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop for the post card project was not difficult. Rather it made completing the project must faster. I feel more confident about placing documents into different programs now. Furthermore, taking advantage of the strengths that each program has to offer. I would not have been able to accomplish the project without the strengths that the programs have to offer, for example, editing my photo and applying a filter as I did in Photoshop. In closing this project was a crucial element in the learning the design process. We had used all of the programs individually but now after completing the project it helped create cohesion across the board with the use of the programs. Furthermore, I think it has helped each of us realize what program to use when we need to accomplish a specific task.

No comments:

Post a Comment